- B.A. (History), University of Maryland University College
- J.D., University of California at Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
- State Bar of California
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
Miller v. Glenn Miller Productions, Inc., 454 F. 3d 975 (9th Cir. 2006)
Greenfield v. Superior Court (Billy Blanks), 106 Cal. App. 4th 743 (2003)
Cusano v. Klein, 280 F. Supp. 2d 1035 (C.D. Cal. 2003)
Grammer v. The Artists Agency, 142 Lab. Cas. ¶ 10,907 (C.D. Cal. 2000)
Dead Kennedys v. Biafra, 37 F. Supp. 2d 1151 (N.D. Cal. 1999)
Paul Karl Lukacs
Paul operates from the firm’s Los Angeles office, specializing in entertainment litigation and transactions. He has represented Backstreet Boys, Kelsey Grammer, KISS, Courtney Love, Lucasfilm Ltd., Arnold Schwarzenegger and other artists and producers.
Paul has worked for the NBC television network, as well as for the entertainment litigation firm of Lavely & Singer. Paul worked for Phillips, Erlewine & Given LLP in the 1990s and maintained his relationship with the firm over the years.
Paul focuses on the following types of representation:
• Copyright, trademark, contract and royalty litigation in state and federal court
• Talent Agency Act matters
• California Labor Commissioner claims and defenses
• Negotiation of film, television and online talent, production, financing and distribution agreements
• SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA and other guild tribunals
• Negotiation of music industry recording, publishing, talent, leaving member and performance agreements
• Trademark registration and prosecution
• Negotiation of book publishing agreements
• IFTA and other film and television industry arbitrations
• Advice regarding entertainment industry collective bargaining agreements
• Pre-publication review and other advice regarding libel, slander, rights of privacy, rights of publicity and anti-SLAPP protection
• Defending entertainment lawyers from malpractice claims
• California Public Records Act and federal Freedom of Information Act requests
• Representation regarding Copyright Royalty Board and ASCAP and BMI rate courts
• ICANN and other domain name disputes.
Actor v. Producer — Obtained injunction which prohibits producer from utilizing footage of actor.
Singer v. Manager — Applied Talent Agency Act to terminate onerous personal management contract.
Distribution Agreement — Negotiated and finalized U.S./Canada distribution agreement for independent film.
Guitarist v. Attorney — Defended entertainment attorney against malpractice claim by alleged former client.